Be Wary Of
As an educated consumer
and patient, Renew Physical Therapy wants you to be wary of some
of the realities out there in the community today. This section
is a basic compilation of some ideas that should make you skeptical,
and also this section is a go-to area for ways you can combat tactics
used by your insurance company to put a wedge between
you and your medical provider. Check back here often to find out
new trends and leading information.
and Tricks to Understanding Insurance Company Tactics
- Checking your EOBs for UCR language- more
- What is "reasonable or usual and customary?"- more
- Overall insurance company tactics to get in between you and
your caregiver- more to come...
- Illegal "Silent PPO" discounts by insurance companies- more to
- Get it in writing - Your Declarations Page- more
- How to use your HR department or insurance broker to help you- more
- Timely filing laws in NYS- more to come...
Companies in the News - Did You Know?
Latest info on Andrew Cuomo's Historic Out-Of-Network Re-Imbursement Reform
United Healthcare Faces Lawsuit from NYS Attorney General over
"Usual and Customary"
Studies Say Private Medicare Plans Have Added Costs, for Little Gain
to File a Complaint in New York State
We are happy to help our patients file these forms when their
insurance company is not doing what they are supposed to do. Please
contact our front office if you have any questions.
Insurance Commissioner - timely filing
Attorney General Healthcare Bureau Complaint Form
Be Wary of Medical Providers
- Be wary of PTs who only use ice/heat
or electrical stim. This is not the only thing physical therapists
are meant to do!
- Be wary of PTs who only give you massage
therapy WITHOUT exercise instruction and injury prevention.
These are critical components of your long term success.
- Be wary of MDs who say "the pain is
in your head". Although there are psychological factors to
pain like anxiety, stress, and depression, there is almost always
a physical component to your pain. Make sure to work with someone
who will help you do this detective work.
- Be wary of MDs who don't work as a
team with other caregivers. Often times there are multiple aspects to the root causes of your pain
and you need a multi-strategical approach.